Rules for My Referee-less Game Play Writing

As I begin this referee-less campaign and begin posting (in a few weeks), I realized I needed to set a few rules for myself as it relates to blog posting.

For my normal writing process--the novels, short stories, and poetry I write--I'm an incredibly iterative writer. (I make no claims to uniqueness on this point.) If I followed the same level of iterations and "perfection" I expect in that for this blog, well, this blog would have very long sequences of no releases, etc. Therefore, I will have to be easier on my expectations for myself.

I will focus on short write ups of action as the game progresses. Additionally, I will live with the knowledge that I will write passages, sentences, and so on that I would have eventually revised or deleted in my normal iterative process. I will reserve the right to revise after release, but I will note revised text in brackets [] and deleted text in strikethrough. Whether I revise or not, however, I leave up to the whims of my schedule.

Additionally, because I won't know the results of how the action, encounters, and whatnot goes until...well, it's played out, I will adopt a structure of each chapter being tied to the system the tour is in at that time. Thus, the first chapter will be "Krenschawz"--because that is the first system they will visit. Chapters may (and likely will) extend across several posts.

Finally, this is a referee-less role-playing game, so I figure I need to somehow accommodate the dice roles, the Game Master's Apprentice deck results, and so on, that appear without disrupting the flow of the narrative. I suspect this will go through several iterations to find what I feel is a balance but still shares the results. For now, I'm thinking that dice rolls will be inline with the paragraphs in gray. For example:

Ensign Jaryx looked across the table at Spacehand Finn. Jaryx could go either way. He once had a commander read him the riot act or expect to be discharged from the navy. He had had other, kinder commanders as well. Jaryx cleared his throat, "Spacehand Finn, if I ever catch you making space hooch again," he let the anger roll out with this voice, "you can expect far more severe consequences." Jaryx took the flask of space hooch and shoved it into his pocket and winked at Finn.

Leadership, Average 8+, roll = 9.

Finn snaps nods and said, "Yes, sir. Won't happen again sir." He winked back at Jaryx.

P.S. I'm adding the following to my list of tools for the referee-less game:
21 Villains
21 Plot
21 Plots: Planetside
21 Pirate Groups


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1, Part 15: Krenshawz

Solo Traveller Setting Part 1: Klebe and the People’s Supremacy

Solo Traveller Setting Part 2: Carcharoth and the Resistance